Wednesday 9 November 2016

On the move - involuntary migration 3 (article)

I thought I would quickly stop by and point out this article by Poppy McPherson of The Guardian, which looks at the movement of climate refugees from rural areas of Bangladesh to Dhaka. She explains that for many years Dhaka has been a "magnet" for climate migrants that are having to relocate due to environmental impacts. Up to "2,000 migrants a day" move to Dhaka and this number will only increase as global climate change takes place at a much faster rate. We all know that climate change is an impact that developing nations such as Bangladesh face. As result of migration, countries are also facing secondary impacts as a direct result, such as overcrowding, thus placing them under added pressure. McPherson mentions that climate migrants are likely to end up in cities that are less likely to "withstand" issues arising from climate change. She also touches on a point that I made in my first post last month, how developing countries usually emit the least carbon but suffer the most - keep your eye out for this. I hope you enjoy reading this article as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment